Why I like broccoli

Kenan N Kel

Unlike most people in this world, I actually like the taste of broccoli. I don’t love it – but I like it.

To me, broccoli is the ultimate signal food. Broccoli speaks to you as a food, saying I am bright, green, and bitter. It has a distinct and defined taste, and doesn’t pretend to be something that it’s not. Broccoli owns its identity, and is proud of the fact that it tastes this way. It doesn’t want you to love it, because it’s broccoli. For you to love broccoli would send a mixed message. There’s a reason broccoli doesn’t taste like chocolate or caramel – it does not have the same nutritional profile as chocolate or caramel. Broccoli is incredibly healthy, and tastes like it’s incredibly healthy.

We need to do a better of job of appreciating the messages that foods send to us. Foods come in different colors and with different tastes, all of which tell your body something else. For broccoli to be green, bold and bitter probably means that it’s screaming “I AM HEALTHY†to you.

I have learned over time to appreciate this message. Rather than enjoying the flavor, I try to enjoy the message too. I know that when I eat a bowl of brown rice with roasted broccoli that I am doing something good and healthy for my body, and my food tells me exactly that. Similarly, when I eat a bowl of ice cream, while enjoyable and pleasurable in many ways, I also know that I’m providing fat and sugar to my body – which is another signal and message.

I no longer disguise these two messages. For me, it’s about balancing what my food tells me. Most of the time, my food tells me that it’s healthy, and for that, I have learned to appreciate the message and flavor. Some of the time, my food tells me that it’s full of salt, fat, or sugar, and while I appreciate the flavor, I also recognize the context of it being unhealthy food.

Food, diet and health is only complex if we make it out to be. Trying to make broccoli taste like chocolate ice cream will most certainly end up with something that is about as good (or bad) for you as ice cream. I’d rather let nature speak to me as it wants to – naturally. Join impact if u like broccoli