Unpaid internships for CS Y/N?

rd gang member

2 hours ago, Josh Nissan said:

I need guidance for the summer should I take unpaid internships or Nah and just work on personal projects. I want to work alongside experienced people in the business but people tell me unpaid is not worth it so help me out Brewshark.

This really depends on several factors. I do not know what type of internship you are looking for. I was part of a few back in the day and yes, some you get paid really well, others you don't because it is for "your own experience."

Hard to really say without much info. I personally recommend them, pay or no pay. Personal projects are good, but when you apply for a job, having an internship (experience) already classifies you as a strong candidate for the job.

There are also Student Investigation programs which pay for you to do Internships/Investigations, even if the Internship you chose doesn't pay you. You just got to reaearch around and apply/have good interviews.

Good luck chosing!

for my field (engineering) internships are well compensated (20ish)  unless you choose to do research work for universities. but even then, they will give you housing/stipends. just make sure you dont put yourself on a slave role where you learn nothing

25 minutes ago, 1defkid said:

for my field (engineering) internships are well compensated (20ish)  unless you choose to do research work for universities. but even then, they will give you housing/stipends. just make sure you dont put yourself on a slave role where you learn nothing

this

Odds are, if the company doesn’t have unpaid internships, then it’s a pretty bad company to start with.  All the known tech companies in my area have paid CS internships, honestly I never heard of a CS unpaid internship.

Would highly recommend getting 2 internships under your belt before graduation. You'll be able to get most any job you want that way.

If you can't get 2, then at least get 1. You should have a multitude of interning options within CS. It's better in the long run to get an unpaid one with an established, well-run company than a paid one with a mediocre company that doesn't follow modern best practices. If you can find something with a good mix of both pay and personal growth, then pursue that brown sticky stuff

• 7 months later...