Need UI/UX suggestions from the community

puppyslush

11:03 PM]poog:

when i look for the main aftermath and clan discussion

[11:03 PM]poog:

it's confusing, on this forum

[11:03 PM]poog:

I'm sure when they come on this forum it's hard to find for them

Any tips on improving the accessibility of Sharkbrew?

I don't see an issue with the aftermath sections. However the clan discussion section isn't separated between mains/pures which I could see causing friction/stopping new mains from posting. I would like to see a place where both mains and pures are posting though, a bit of a tough one.

get rid of this skin/IPB4, its too much mobile-first - there are so many categories/forums and the items are so big that you have to scroll too much

get rid of that big menu on the index with that idiotic members shop and hosting, own services shouldnt be advertised like that anyways on a community forums

try to reduce the numbers of items, the index page is just too big, rather use many subforums

1. art&media has so many forums/subforums its nonsense imo
  2. there are many empty forums
  3. I would redo the whole forums/subforums structure

separate pure and main topics with forums, some people might not care about the others

get rid of these colorful tags

1. they take too much attention away from focusing on the topic titles
  2. use subforums instead of tags
  3. theres no point of keeping them just so you can see the categories in recent topics
    1. there are too many topics they disappear in a bit anyways
    2. some users would prefer to bookmark a forums/subforum in order to see its activity alone
      1. like this: http://forums.zybez.net/forum/354-clan-fights-events/?&sort_key=start_date&sort_by=Z-A

get rid of ads

get rid of long signatures

From my point of view, coming from Zybez, it's odd to adjust to having the aftermath/events sections separate from the discussion sections. It'd make more sense as:

Clan Discussion (Just a forum category, no topics)

--Mains (this would function as the clan discussion board for mains)

----Wild Events

----CWA Events

--Pures (this would function as clan discussion for pures)

----Wild events

----CWA events

----Whatever other subforums you need for pure clans

--Recruitment

----Pures

----Mains

----Whatever other sub sections you need for different clan types

I agree with a lot of what Winnetou said:

-The index is cluttered, fragmented and disorganised and could do with a restructure.

-There's too many sidebars.

-It's got an "unprofessional" feel too it which might be what you're going for but I know a lot of main clans moved away from the colourful icons, flairs, Jaggy rule breaking ads and shit like that a long time ago.

-Some sigs are obnoxiously large and you could do with discussing some kind of limit.

23 minutes ago, Wee Man said:

From my point of view, coming from Zybez, it's odd to adjust to having the aftermath/events sections separate from the discussion sections. It'd make more sense as:

----Wild Events

----CWA Events

----Wild events

----CWA events

--Recruitment

----Pures

----Mains

-The index is cluttered, fragmented and disorganised and could do with a restructure.

-It's got an "unprofessional" feel too it which might be what you're going for but I know a lot of main clans moved away from the colourful icons, flairs, Jaggy rule breaking ads and shit like that a long time ago.

-Some sigs are obnoxiously large and you could do with discussing some kind of limit.

This is spot on @slushpuppy

1 hour ago, Winnetou said:

get rid of this skin/IPB4, its too much mobile-first - there are so many categories/forums and the items are so big that you have to scroll too much

get rid of that big menu on the index with that idiotic members shop and hosting, own services shouldnt be advertised like that anyways on a community forums

try to reduce the numbers of items, the index page is just too big, rather use many subforums

1. art&media has so many forums/subforums its nonsense imo
  2. there are many empty forums
  3. I would redo the whole forums/subforums structure

separate pure and main topics with forums, some people might not care about the others

get rid of these colorful tags

1. they take too much attention away from focusing on the topic titles
  2. use subforums instead of tags
  3. theres no point of keeping them just so you can see the categories in recent topics
    1. there are too many topics they disappear in a bit anyways
    2. some users would prefer to bookmark a forums/subforum in order to see its activity alone
      1. like this: http://forums.zybez.net/forum/354-clan-fights-events/?&sort_key=start_date&sort_by=Z-A

get rid of ads

get rid of long signatures

Some good pointers except for the following:

• Those ads pay for the events we host. They are not going away. We cannot have the cake and eat it. Work with it.
  • I am surprised to hear tags are an issue. Is this a personal bias or should they be recolored?
  • If you actually clicked on the hosting services, they are bona fide free hosting for the community..
  • Signatures are auto collapsed, do they not work for you?

1 hour ago, Wee Man said:

----Wild Events

----CWA Events

----Wild events

----CWA events

--Recruitment

----Pures

----Mains

Good forum layout, i'll implement them later this week

• Those ads pay for the events we host. They are not going away. We cannot have the cake and eat it. Work with it
  • Which sidebars would u ditch?

1 hour ago, Grabbin said:

IQAoeTD.png

I think it'S confusing because you have (Pure Clans) but not (Med/Main Clans).

So probs just adding  (Med/Main Clans) before the Widlerness/Clan Wars should help.

Oh and I agree, move the Community Enforcement shit to the bottom

Our plan is to call the entire Main/Mid/Tank/Zerk community "Runite Community" for brevity purposes, but yeah give it a bit more time, i'll condense them

1 hour ago, Wee Man said:

----Wild Events

----CWA Events

----Wild events

----CWA events

--Recruitment

----Pures

----Mains

This is spot on except I think the recruitment should be left as is under the "clanning" section. Just remove the clan discussion from "clanning" as suggested and make it the new events/aftermath section.

22 minutes ago, puppyslush said:

Good forum layout, i'll implement them later this week

• Those ads pay for the events we host. They are not going away. We cannot have the cake and eat it. Work with it
  • Which sidebars would u ditch?

I get that they sponsor the events it's just that when you're advertising something that breaks Jagex's rules (i.e Gold selling, in game services etc) you're stopping the community from having any legitimacy so if you ever want Jmod attention/involvement that's going to be impossible. You're also alienating the average RS user since ads like that are associated with shady shit (think keyloggers/rats etc). If you've got no plans to reach a larger audience then fair enough but if that is a long term goal for the site you need to somehow find other ways to sponsor the events or find legitimate (In Jagex terms) sponsors.

I'd ditch everything except the recent posts/replies and status updates for the sidebars also if there's a way to stop topics from being "pinned" in the recent topics sidebar I think that'd work better or maybe someway to tag them as pinned, it's kind of confusing when you're seeing old topics at the top of the feed followed by the actual recent topics.

3 minutes ago, Kye said:

This is spot on except I think the recruitment should be left as is under the "clanning" section. Just remove the clan discussion from "clanning" as suggested and make it the new events/aftermath section.

I think consolidating all the clanning sections under one category via multiple subforums/sub categories would flow better than separating them by index categories but that's just me.

2 minutes ago, Wee Man said:

I get that they sponsor the events it's just that when you're advertising something that breaks Jagex's rules (i.e Gold selling, in game services etc) you're stopping the community from having any legitimacy so if you ever want Jmod attention/involvement that's going to be impossible. You're also alienating the average RS user since ads like that are associated with shady shit (think keyloggers/rats etc). If you've got no plans to reach a larger audience then fair enough but if that is a long term goal for the site you need to somehow find other ways to sponsor the events or find legitimate (In Jagex terms) sponsors.

I'd ditch everything except the recent posts/replies and status updates for the sidebars also if there's a way to stop topics from being "pinned" in the recent topics sidebar I think that'd work better or maybe someway to tag them as pinned, it's kind of confusing when you're seeing old topics at the top of the feed followed by the actual recent topics.

These gold sellers are a short term solution to an existing and immediate problem. If Jagex is willing to give the PvP community the necessary support, Sharkbrew wouldn't need to go out of its way to find sponsors for a paid event.

Hmm, that suggestion is quite severe as it will take out a huge chunk of information. Are you going for a minimalist feel here?

Personally feel like the theme needs an update for sure, everythings extremely large and cluttered. Im not even sure what I'm looking at half the time tbh. Zybezs theme was very simplistic/slightly outdated but at least it was clean to look at and far from an eyesore.

Complete restructure of topic areas as others suggested too. Events/Discussion are always going to be the most popular areas, keep them at the top.

Rank names pretty confusing, I understand the logic behind it but people who are new to SB are just going to be confused. Keep it simple.

6 minutes ago, puppyslush said:

These gold sellers are a short term solution to an existing and immediate problem. If Jagex is willing to give the PvP community the necessary support, Sharkbrew wouldn't need to go out of its way to find sponsors for a paid event.

Hmm, that suggestion is quite severe as it will take out a huge chunk of information. Are you going for a minimalist feel here?

Ye, I get the situation you're in with the ads, it's exactly how Zybez was prior to being purchased by Curse.

If you look at it from a web design point of view having all the information available and easily accessible is important but it's just as important as making sure your landing page isn't cluttered and flooded with too much information which is how I think it feels right now, it's very overwhelming and not very user friendly to new users. The most important sidebars are going to be new topics, new replies to topics and a place for users to leave their mark. Everything else I'd consider too much.

6 minutes ago, Wee Man said:

Ye, I get the situation you're in with the ads, it's exactly how Zybez was prior to being purchased by Curse.

If you look at it from a web design point of view having all the information available and easily accessible is important but it's just as important as making sure your landing page isn't cluttered and flooded with too much information which is how I think it feels right now, it's very overwhelming and not very user friendly to new users. The most important sidebars are going to be new topics, new replies to topics and a place for users to leave their mark. Everything else I'd consider too much.

Thanks for your feedback, however Sharkbrew does indeed come from a different angle on treating the importance of aftermath topics. Definitely consider trimming down the fat however

12 minutes ago, jajack said:

Personally feel like the theme needs an update for sure, everythings extremely large and cluttered. Im not even sure what I'm looking at half the time tbh. Zybezs theme was very simplistic/slightly outdated but at least it was clean to look at and far from an eyesore.

Complete restructure of topic areas as others suggested too. Events/Discussion are always going to be the most popular areas, keep them at the top.

Rank names pretty confusing, I understand the logic behind it but people who are new to SB are just going to be confused. Keep it simple.

I will not change the current rank names as they imply less confrontation and more engagement from the rank team.

The forums and skin will be streamlined in the coming days, thanks for the feeback everyone

Something odd I've come across is when I type in sharkbrew.com, the page which is like a portal to everywhere else. I know you click community to be redirected to the forums, but it's not obvious enough{at least it wasn't for me at first} if you know what I mean? It might just be my autism, but maybe make it more clear/apparent for the link that brings you for the forums?