Need UI/UX suggestions from the community

puppyslush

58 minutes ago, Nike said:

spend some lunch money for once and let calum do it

not really UX/UI but I agree , you make enough money, invest some in layout.

As for UX/UI the list is too long , I used to browse sharkbrew on my phone only, can't do that anymore.

8ea57c615a2dc581a78426ca5674d489.png

My initial concern is the useless top section of the forums.

Firstly the 'bringing mains to events' section has been useless since the enforcement stopped after it was realized fo/sup were the ones always bringing the mains and the mods on the website didn't like to have to admit that.

Secondly, the 'community watch list' is the most useless section of all and originated because a weird guy sent dick pics/doxed a girl (when other guys dox people all the time/send pics to underage girls on social media/sleep with underage girls from their clan and nobody seems to care to put up more names to warn people of them).

Do people really want to see that pathetic stuff when they get onto sharkbrew?

5 hours ago, Moni said:

@slushpuppy this

Dude stop triggering me. You know that is being worked on in staff boards with Andy...

6 hours ago, Crest227 said:

Something odd I've come across is when I type in sharkbrew.com, the page which is like a portal to everywhere else. I know you click community to be redirected to the forums, but it's not obvious enough{at least it wasn't for me at first} if you know what I mean? It might just be my autism, but maybe make it more clear/apparent for the link that brings you for the forums?

Even runescape uses "Community", how would u want that changed?

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

not really UX/UI but I agree , you make enough money, invest some in layout.

As for UX/UI the list is too long , I used to browse sharkbrew on my phone only, can't do that anymore.

Unless there is some esoteric technical definition for layout, doesn't layout come under UI/UX?

Whats the issue on the phone?

4 hours ago, Murd said:

8ea57c615a2dc581a78426ca5674d489.png

My initial concern is the useless top section of the forums.

Firstly the 'bringing mains to events' section has been useless since the enforcement stopped after it was realized fo/sup were the ones always bringing the mains and the mods on the website didn't like to have to admit that.

Secondly, the 'community watch list' is the most useless section of all and originated because a weird guy sent dick pics/doxed a girl (when other guys dox people all the time/send pics to underage girls on social media/sleep with underage girls from their clan and nobody seems to care to put up more names to warn people of them).

Do people really want to see that pathetic stuff when they get onto sharkbrew?

Er no, the bringing mains to events was shut down because lpcs didn't want cotm, remember :P?

Anyone who affects the community would been added if not for the clan revolt that occurred straight afterwards.

Using this site for the first time and as many others have said it seems like the layout is very messy - there's so much space in between a lot of stuff. Needs to be more condensed and sleek. Zybez was far from a masterpiece design-wise, but it was very simple and easy to use. 

Sidebars are quite confusing to someone not used to them. Strictly my opinion but sidebars should be Recent Topics (in chronological order) -> Recent Replies to topics -> Status Updates. 

Aside from that I think the site looks fine. 

edit: Looks a bit better now after posting. 

2 hours ago, slushpuppy said:

Dude stop triggering me. You know that is being worked on in staff boards with Andy...

Even runescape uses "Community", how would u want that changed?

Unless there is some esoteric technical definition for layout, doesn't layout come under UI/UX?

Whats the issue on the phone?

Er no, the bringing mains to events was shut down because lpcs didn't want cotm, remember :P?

Anyone who affects the community would been added if not for the clan revolt that occurred straight afterwards.

Real talk it's looking much better now so gj. The clanning section also look much more obvious and accessible for whichever parties (rune or pure) are looking for their respective sections.

The only other thing I'd ask is would it be worth putting the clan declaration section into the pure community discussion considering it's fairly inactive and would probably suit being there?

54 minutes ago, Murd said:

Real talk it's looking much better now so gj. The clanning section also look much more obvious and accessible for whichever parties (rune or pure) are looking for their respective sections.

The only other thing I'd ask is would it be worth putting the clan declaration section into the pure community discussion considering it's fairly inactive and would probably suit being there?

Thank you, yes I think i'll move the declaration section to the pure section after this weekend if the main community doesn't want to utilize it

For the sidebar:

Put featured and normal topics in 2 different boxes; also, why are rs updates featured? Nobody every reads those or cares about them...

Similar to here:

TXdmwHg.png

Also, I don't know if that's possible, make it so you can hide status updates, new topics, etc. widgets. Similar to forum categories.

On 27/08/2018 at 9:39 AM, Grabbin said:

Also, I don't know if that's possible, make it so you can hide status updates, new topics, etc. widgets. Similar to forum categories.

This is a good compromise if you want to keep the majority of the sidebars, just make them collapsible or customisable that way by default everything is still there but everyone can personalise the index to their liking.

I think moving the "Community Information" forum under the Sharkbrew category on the index would be beneficial as well. Having your rules and rank information easy to find helps a lot for new users, it took me a while to realise where it was when I registered.

To be honest you should be using your site analytics to inform the best suited UX pattern. I'm going to guess that ~70-80% of your traffic is going to pure discussion and runite discussion + their sub categories. (If this is the case) it doesn't make sense to have these sections buried in categories half way down the forum. They should be prioritized.

I'd also guess that most of the traffic is coming from mobile devices (and if not it's probably because it's so terrible on mobile and most people would just give up). You should definitely be at the very least experimenting with a mobile first concept.

Tip: you probably have three different general user personas:

- Staff and admin (Moderation tools are key. Primarily desktop users but having an 'on the fly/stripped down mobile' moderation toolset would be handy for them)

- Content creators (primarily desktop. These are the people uploading aftermath topics and media)

- content consumers (probably a 50/50 split between mobile and desktop. These people probably want a mobile experience and an intuitive navigation pattern which the site currently lacks)

*You can extrapolate "jobs" that a user fitting under one of these personas needs to perform on a day to day basis, these jobs can then be broken down into customer journeys. Eg: content creator wishes to upload an aftermath video + aftermath description + 5-20 supporting aftermath pngs. -> map the steps they must take in order to complete this job. How can that process you've just mapped out be simplified. 

Identify which are your most pressing UX jobs/problems (like content creators and consumers not being able to find categories relevant to their interests) and prioritise them.

In an ideal world you'd then concept, design and prototype the proposed new solutions to your most pressing UX problems and test it with actual users, gather feedback and then iterate. But I know that probably won't happen lol. Just keep it in mind.

My advice would be to do some wide market research, even so far as outside of ipb skins and see how other forums solve the issues the three personas above face. (Mobile and navigation are probably your most pressing issue outside of site optimization)...

Check out the oculus vr forum for an example of 'good' forum experience. They use a platform called vanilla forums.

This was a rushed post so no bully pls