Moving forward; our goals for the community and the site

puppyslush

image.png

This announcement topic is to describe Sharkbrew's future goal for the community, why we need to achieve those goals, and how we are going to achieve them

PvP & Clanning Updates

Around June 2018, we were approached by Mod Sween from Jagex who wanted feedback on weapon mechanics updates that may affect PvP community. At that time, we did not have the community(esp. the main community) well integrated enough to help provide the necessary and feedback value that he was looking for. As a result, communications slowly died off and he eventually departed the site.

As much as the JMods are game moderators and are community oriented, they are still answerable to a managerial chain of command whose primary aim is: How do we make more money? If I dedicate X number of Jmod hours on this update(business cost), will I get back Y amount of players(revenue). This could be one of the reasons why highly upvoted reddit posts often are addressed directly and even implemented in game by Jagex because they see the value in such posts.

Thus, in order for PvP/clanning related update suggestion to achieve this same level of attention by Jagex, we have to emulate this value for them.

Why should we going to provide this value?

For years now, Jagex has either ignored or resisted our concerns and our appeals to introducing updates that would greatly benefit our community. Furthermore, as of late, they have implemented updates that have wiped out entire segments of our community. Unfortunately, due to the perceived small size of our community and our distinct dividedness, Jagex will continue to see us as the tiny minority of the community that they can continue to ignore without any risk or harm to their reputation.

How are we going to provide this value?

In order to provide this value, we need to centralize the entire community under one platform, this is so that ideas can be vetted within our scene, and thus we can provide the value, which reddit does already, of like-minded individuals who are ultra focused on this area of the game.

Primary Goals - Activity and Ideas

1. Create a portal that aggregates the activity of clanning and PvP
  2. Create a system that encourages the community to share ideas
  3. Generate community momentum behind said ideas
  4. With the above systems in place, we shall go on the offense and start pushing our ideas and agenda to Jagex and to the rest of the community

Concurrent Goals - Addressing Fundamental challenges of Clanning

1. Lowering the barrier of entry for recruitment
  2. Fully connect Sharkbrew with our other social media platforms
  3. Community Events
  4. Toxicity on Sharkbrew platforms
  5. Address or defend the image of clanning that has been heavily slated by bias 3rd party official fansites, i.e. Reddit
  6. Encourage members of the community to start new clans

DzFixGs.png

Activity and Ideas

We have recently launched the League system that tracks CWA and wilderness activity of clans. The goal of this system is to encourage healthy competition between clans while also primarily serving as a recruitment and motivational tool for clans. As the Sharkbrew brand name is fairly well established, we want new visitors to the site to be impressed by the sheer activity that clanning provides.

We hope that with majority of the clans joining our league system, we can then use this to attract like-minded members to start contributing PvP and clanning related ideas to help boost the interaction in the community- similar to the modus operandi of the working community at Reddit. Once we get the momentum going, it is going to be extremely difficult to stop.

Secondly, we are going to expand the League system to include tracking individual Pking. This additional will complete the recruit cycle on sharkbrew- something which I will elaborate on later.

Now with the community being behind said ideas that were generated before, our goal is to push these ideas on various forums to Jagex. Unlike the previous time where it was only 75~ votes and comments, we hope to aggregate the opinions of a few hundred active clanners, thus showing to Jagex that we mean quite a fair bit of business.

DzFixGs.png

Addressing Fundamental challenges of Clanning

As we are facing an older user base with less time to commit to the rigors of clanning, Sharkbrew's goal is to reduce some of the monotonous tasks of running a clan, thus hopefully we can free up time for what leaders and members enjoy most about clanning- participating in events and fighting other clans

Lowering the barrier of entry for recruitment

All clans today actively recruit in game, and this is their primary source of active members. I have idled in 4 social CCs while training my med account, and I have come across quite a fair number of pures and PKers who generally dominate said discussions in those CCs. The market is there, but clans have to set aside time and effort to recruit such members.

Passive recruitment

The origins of a pure community/community forums(zybez) stems from the root idea that by posting your clan's aftermath topic, visitors to the site would be inclined to register on your clan forums to join your clan. This form of recruitment requires the least effort on behalf of the clan. Our goal is to improve the passive recruitment for all clans using sharkbrew, and we shall achieve this with the following:

Merging Sharkbrew twitter

Sharkbrew's twitter account currently runs a daily top BH hunter highscore list. Our audience base consist mostly of BH and 1v1 pkers. While our follower count is not amazing, our twitter posts reaches out to around 800-1k users daily.

image.png.1571857ef394747b12a297037ef4f4b5.png

Our goal is to eventually post clan aftermath topics on our twitter and synchronize our twitter audience with Sharkbrew forums, thus exposing clans to a whole new audience base

1v1 ELO league system

By expanding the league system to include 1v1 PKers, we hope to complete the recruitment cycle where players who are competitive in 1v1 uses our league system, is then exposed to clanning, and hopefully these players will eventually join one of the clans using Sharkbrew.

@Moniwill be leading the above system

Wiki System

Our plan is to build a PvP and clanning oriented wiki system that contain guides for for clanning and PvPers. Written by people who know the scene best :D. With a bit of SEO management, we hope that our guides would be the first link people click when searching for "1 defense pure guide"/"how to make a zerk" on google, and ultimately be exposed to clanning when visiting our site

@Eeveeis leading the above system

Toxicity on Sharkbrew platforms

We are aware of the toxicity that stems from our platforms, and in 2016 Sharkbrew can probably hold the record for being the most toxic community, unless you were also drinking tap water in flint michigan. Our goal is to significantly clamp down on the toxicity that stems from our platforms, both on forums and in discord. We understand that we cannot grow if we were to remain in a state of toxicity as new members would be put off from joining the clanning community.

As such, the rules have been completely revamped and we are going to push for a competitive community that is also clean in the process

@Eeveeis leading the the moderation team

@Breakand @Yakis leading the mod team for discord

Community Events

In the coming months, you will see more community events being hosted by Sharkbrew. This is to publicize the strengths and activity of our scene when we eventually connect with our other social media platforms

@Kyewill be leading this system

Fully connect Sharkbrew with our other social media platforms

As mentioned earlier, we will be synchronizing the forums with our twitter platform. Once we have enough users, we will be reaching out to reddit as well. The aim is once again to blast out the sheer activity of clanning.

image.png.e23fc280fb8c0cae434251ac18549858.png

People are looking for clans on 2007scape reddit, however majority of the content is dominated by "Lets shit on clanning/pvp" memes that such posts don't get the attention they deserve.

Address or defend the image of clanning that has been heavily slated by bias 3rd party official fansites, i.e. Reddit

This is connected to the previous point where in addition to advertising the activity of clanning, we are also going to create a campaign to help mitigate some of the poor image clanning has suffered, i.e. under DMM/Mod Jed for example.

Encourage members of the community to start new clans

With the above objectives achieved, we hope more community members would be motivated to start a clan and join into the fight fest!

DzFixGs.png

Looking for New Ranks!

In summary, to achieve all of our above goals, Sharkbrew is looking for new ranks. If you are motivated enough to help us and by extension help the community, please make an application topic here:

https://www.sharkbrew.com/community/index.php?/application/form/3-apply-to-become-a-sharkbrew-rank/

In the application topic, we would like for you to state which system you like to work on/improve

We also welcome any new ideas as we are flexible enough to incorporate new ones- as long as our goals are achieved!

Concurrent Goals - Addressing Fundamental challenges of Clanning

1. Lowering the barrier of entry for recruitment
  2. Fully connect Sharkbrew with our other social media platforms
  3. Community Events
  4. Toxicity on Sharkbrew platforms
  5. Address or defend the image of clanning that has been heavily slated by bias 3rd party official fansites, i.e. Reddit
  6. Encourage members of the community to start new clans

Goal #1 is the result of Goal #2. Leaks, disloyalty etc are big reasons why clans have such lengthy and involved application processes. It is a big problem but I don't know what you can really do about it given the nature of clanning.

#6 is huge though. I'm one of the few people who tried to start a new clan in 2k19 and at the time, I was new to the runescape clanning community in general. One thing I will point out for the sake of others who try to start clans: the pure community is really toxic and shitty towards people who try to start new clans. And often towards those clans in general. Nobody really takes new projects seriously unless a select few people are involved in their founding, and if anything vets will just see weakness/inexperience and do those clans dirty to get free action and ego boost for their members.

It would be cool if more people could recognize that clanning's going to eventually die off if we don't open up to new people and new projects and new ideas. And maybe like, reach out and help those people out instead of leaking their pk trips on your alt to make a quick $5.

Looks like DC is making a big push to become a full fledged LPC. Onslaught got rid of their founder recently and seems motivated. Resistance has been out there. Brock's opening a clan. Those are the people trying to do it right now. If you're a bored vet not doing anything with yourself rn maybe go help out a clan that hasn't been around longer than your momma. Theres clans out there who are trying, and dont have a single member who's f2p pked. Even like 1 person can make a big impact.

Our plan is to build a PvP and clanning oriented wiki system that contain guides for for clanning and PvPers. Written by people who know the scene best:D. With a bit of SEO management, we hope that our guides would be the first link people click when searching for "1 defense pure guide"/"how to make a zerk" on google, and ultimately be exposed to clanning when visiting our site

If you want to make a big impact here, populate the wiki with not only info like "1 def pure guide" but also info on clanning in general. One of the hugest barriers of entry for new clanners is the fact that most of the people here have been doing this forever and nobody has ever explained how to clan in writing before. We grew up in a generation where you had to figure things out for yourself. Now the audience expects a straightforward point A to point B explanation to come up on the first page of google. At some point this community has to adapt to that.

40 minutes ago, ┣┫_88 said:

If you want to make a big impact here, populate the wiki with not only info like "1 def pure guide" but also info on clanning in general. One of the hugest barriers of entry for new clanners is the fact that most of the people here have been doing this forever and nobody has ever explained how to clan in writing before. We grew up in a generation where you had to figure things out for yourself. Now the audience expects a straightforward point A to point B explanation to come up on the first page of google. At some point this community has to adapt to that.

Responding specifically to your write-up about the Wiki page; Your suggestion is actually the primary aim of this. Right now there's only a few of us that are actually taking the time to build the outline and get some fairly important resource pages available for use to the community. Unfortunately it's a massive task to tackle for just a few hands, which is why I'm looking for more individuals to apply for positions within the team to help bridge this gap that have strong editorial skills.

If it's something you would like to become involved in, I highly encourage you to contact me directly either here on the forums or via Discord. The aim for the Wiki is to be a repository of useful information that can be used by anyone, whether they're involved in the scene or exploring it. Naturally, this would include resources that would help educate new players to the scene about terminology, effective gear loadouts, and basic fundamentals of Player Killing for both single and multi PvP. 

I appreciate your well thought out post. 

44 minutes ago, ┣┫_88 said:

Goal #1 is the result of Goal #2. Leaks, disloyalty etc are big reasons why clans have such lengthy and involved application processes. It is a big problem but I don't know what you can really do about it given the nature of clanning.

#6 is huge though. I'm one of the few people who tried to start a new clan in 2k19 and at the time, I was new to the runescape clanning community in general. One thing I will point out for the sake of others who try to start clans: the pure community is really toxic and shitty towards people who try to start new clans. And often towards those clans in general. Nobody really takes new projects seriously unless a select few people are involved in their founding, and if anything vets will just see weakness/inexperience and do those clans dirty to get free action and ego boost for their members.

To be honest with you, previously we treated the whole leaking issue as part and parcel of clanning. Today we definitely seen how much damage it can do to newer clans. We are definitely working to mitigate and minimize the efforts of leaking and spying including implementing guides on starting a clan for example

Looks like DC is making a big push to become a full fledged LPC. Onslaught got rid of their founder recently and seems motivated. Resistance has been out there. Brock's opening a clan. Those are the people trying to do it right now. If you're a bored vet not doing anything with yourself rn maybe go help out a clan that hasn't been around longer than your momma. Theres clans out there who are trying, and dont have a single member who's f2p pked. Even like 1 person can make a big impact.

Back in 2013, clanning was on its last legs after MM closed, luckily IVP managed to corral a bunch of clan ranks together to push for a community wide improvement. Without her, the pure community may suffer the same fate as the main clan scene today

Excellent idea actually. Would you be interested in becoming a Sharkbrew rank to help out with the wiki system?

On 8/23/2019 at 4:42 AM, puppyslush said:

Toxicity on Sharkbrew platforms

We are aware of the toxicity that stems from our platforms, and in 2016 Sharkbrew can probably hold the record for being the most toxic community, unless you were also drinking tap water in flint michigan. Our goal is to significantly clamp down on the toxicity that stems from our platforms, both on forums and in discord. We understand that we cannot grow if we were to remain in a state of toxicity as new members would be put off from joining the clanning community.

As such, the rules have been completely revamped and we are going to push for a competitive community that is also clean in the process

@Eeveeis leading the the moderation team

@Breakand @Yakis leading the mod team for discord

I am excited for this, I would love for our ntpc clan to be more engaged with the SB community, but it's hard because you need to have thick skin to really get involved. 

The way I look at it is, we're all adults, we can banter a bit but do we really need to put people down or make other peoples enjoyment of the game horrible? Let's just all chill and have a good time man.

Good luck with everything!

sounds like a great all around plan long as everyone goes thru with their part, as far as toxicity goes its everywhere nothing wrong with good banter just sometimes people get outta hand with what they are saying and make things unrunescape related, cant be competitive without a little banter. the clanning wiki guide sounds like a great idea, when I was in ir we had a lot of first time clanners and they didn't know anything about clanning (i.e. eating, tanking, switching prayers how to get on site...). so yes if everything is implemented this would help the community out a lot.