PvP ELO league Ideation/feedback thread

puppyslush

image.png

Background:

Majority us getting older with IRL commitments- the good old days of spending 4-6 hours a day recruiting instead of playing the game is a chore that many of us don't wish to be burdened with. This problem is further aggravated by recent decisions by Jagex to implement updates that hurt the clanning communities even further, i.e. destruction of the xlpc scene, removal of BH, removal of DMM, and so on.

Sharkbrew would like to try and help making recruitment easier, and possibly bring fresh (and talented) blood to both the PvP and Clanning community

PvP ELO league Ideation Topic

The objective of this writeup is to demonstrate our intent with the ELO League. We want community's feedback and suggestions before we implement this however.

https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comments/93ad98/colosseum_elo_pvp_arena/

Many of the ideas has been taken from the various PvP colosseum league suggested to Jagex over many year, so credits to the ^^ authors

Our goal is to build an ELO table that tracks and ranks the skills of PvPers at various categories, for example:

image.thumb.png.0a6a0aa71b863caf41053e2b8eefcad5.png

Starting off, we will be catering to the pure tribrids/NHers first before expanding to the main scene.

How does do you compete in the league?

League rankings are tied to the player's sharkbrew account, so players are free to use any number of runescape accounts to participate. Said accounts would have to be approved before they can be used to compete however.

1. Player challenge each other either on forums or ingame(with picture proof) with agreed gear set(to be proposed)
  2. Fights are best of 3 and can be conducted in duel arena, wilderness or PvP worlds
  3. Winners simply upload the screenshot or video evidence* of the fight to the PvP portal
  4. If there are no disputes, the fight is automatically logged to the system after 48 hours

* While video evidence is not mandatory, it would help in the case of disputes

What are the League categories?

• Pure Tribrid

We are going to start with 1 category for now, but we would like the community's suggestion on future categories

Are there any brackets?

We would need suggestions on how to implement a tier/bracket system so that this League isn't just a race to the top. I would prefer if there was a way to discriminate between skill levels of participants to make this system more inclusive

What are the rewards?

Rewards hasn't been fully decided yet, but off the top of my head, if we are looking at 3 brackets, the top pvp from the Elite, Intermediate, Beginner can be sponsored to a tune of 70-100m every 2 weeks

DzFixGs.png

I believe that everyone of you on this forum have a stake in this project, and if we can execute this to its fullest potential, it can greatly benefit all our communities. Sharkbrew need your suggestions, please take the time to carefully think about what you want to see in this project.

If we're planning on some sort of system I highly support doing it either in Dual Arena or Clan Wars as you have a clear winner/loser. Duel Arena for 1v1 and Clan Wars when more people fight obviously. Also rules/limitations can easily be screenshotted as well. Wildy fights brings in to many potential threats to cause issues/disputes. Doing it in Dual arena/CWA could savely be watched live by other people as well :) When high stakes are on the table I'm sure this would attract a lot of people :) 

5 hours ago, Godfather said:

the only way this works is if fresh blood know of sharkbrew to begin with.

This can only become as big as Sharkbrew becomes. The clans out there that mass recruit are getting fewer and fewer by the year, right now 6 clans are open and it's all the same people who were clanning 2 years ago with maybe a few dozen new faces. 

Additionally, because this system is managed outside of the game, and requires self-reporting, I see it becoming a substantial chore for the Sharkbrew team to manage. It's a little easier to manage Clan ELO rankings when there are only 6 clans, and they all post their aftermath topics to your forums, but the management of the scale between 6 clans and 2 ELO leagues, to 400+ pures split into 1, 13, 25 def brackets, doing Tribrid, and Edge BH style fights is magnitudes of difficulty greater than things that you currently manage. 

In addition, if you rely 100% on self reporting by posting results on your forums, the participants of this new ELO league will be few and far between. 

Just some of my concerns, not saying you can't make it work, just saying it's a lot to bite off at once, especially without any support from Jagex. 

10 hours ago, 2ndch4nce said:

This can only become as big as Sharkbrew becomes. The clans out there that mass recruit are getting fewer and fewer by the year, right now 6 clans are open and it's all the same people who were clanning 2 years ago with maybe a few dozen new faces. 

Additionally, because this system is managed outside of the game, and requires self-reporting, I see it becoming a substantial chore for the Sharkbrew team to manage. It's a little easier to manage Clan ELO rankings when there are only 6 clans, and they all post their aftermath topics to your forums, but the management of the scale between 6 clans and 2 ELO leagues, to 400+ pures split into 1, 13, 25 def brackets, doing Tribrid, and Edge BH style fights is magnitudes of difficulty greater than things that you currently manage. 

In addition, if you rely 100% on self reporting by posting results on your forums, the participants of this new ELO league will be few and far between. 

Just some of my concerns, not saying you can't make it work, just saying it's a lot to bite off at once, especially without any support from Jagex. 

The main purpose of this league is to attract new blood to the sharkbrew forums, and ultimately benefiting clans that use SB. If the initial first phase goes well, I'll also be putting my own $ towards funding reddit/twitter ads

Very much so, the current solution I have is an automated approving system that automatically logs fights after 48 hours is there are no disputes- hopefully this will reduce our workload significantly

Absolutely right, we have to create the need for users to submit fights- we are working on that

4 hours ago, MyOverheads said:

main tribrid instead of pure :)

We are adding multiple categories as we go along

5 hours ago, cxntrxl said:

There's literally 12 current clans open... all capable of pulling 40+

Still not as much as 2 years ago

8 hours ago, Bibii said:

Are you thinking about a tournament type such as BO3 fights within a single/double elimination or is this an open event where people are free to fight whoever and log their fight for overall ELO leaderboard? If this is a tournament type, how will disputing work, if lets say, it is a single/double elimination; who will be the loser/winner to proceed to the next round?

Open ended actually, I am looking for suggestions before I work on creating the system. I was tihnking seasonal and overall table

It would be nice if there were multiple leader boards for the different styles of PvP, such as no prayer (GE pvp world) , KO (edge pvp world), and outlasting (white portal/DA) as all of these are a different skill set. This is a great idea though, I'd love to see it come to fruition.