Wilderness Changes: We all lose

Tyendinaga

https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/wilderness-changes?oldschool=1#_ga=2.16716790.1110126816.1624538051-995524662.1622654616

TLDR Talking Points: 

• All singles locations are now singles+ 
  • Quickly getting into multi is more unsafe than ever 

A huge issue that has plagued OSRS updates has been the amount of feedback pertaining to specific niches of the game that are affected by parties that don't exclusively participate in said niches. PvMers that don't PvP shouldn't have a say in how PvP can be dictated, unfortunately this has never been a reality, and with the pending unpolled changes coming, both singles and multi communities will suffer. 

Singles+ is the death of singles teams. Fundamentally changing the structure of the food chain to benefit people who don't have their playtime revolve around the top end means that the wilderness is absurdly safe in single+: with no pj timer between the window of combat and being able to log out, there's no reason to bait players, no reason to attempt to skulltrick, and no reason to hunt pvmers. Anyone with a lick of knowledge can survive a pker in single easily. This balance is completely disrupted. 

One of the larger issues with Weekend trips beyond communicating between clans to fight is the length of time it will take to physically reach a location. We've typically used locations like Graves, Ruins, East Strip, etc to safely approach a multi fight. There's no real way to escape people attempting to rag you and your fallin in singles+ other than straight up teleporting out, and that's if you're not tbed - and if you want to chance running into multi, i'm not about to pretend some of you won't have your clan logged in multi, with meds in single. 

Things like loot keys, dragonhide chaps, fundamentally mean nothing if we don't have the ability to perform PvP in a format that benefits people actually trying to fight rather than make everyone as miserable as possible. I suppose there's no real irony in pvm feedback dictating how pvp functions when it has been blatantly obvious all along. For fucks sake. 

9Gdp6FD.png

In my opinion, singles teams have been getting a bit out of hand, the wilderness is pretty much impossible to be in without having a team behind you.

I think singles plus will encourage more 1v1s, and not getting spec swapped by 15 people when you’re just trying to solo pk.

As for clanning and waiting in singles, you typically will wait in random worlds, ragging shouldn’t be a huge issue - or just log out at the hop spot, I don’t think it will be that huge of a difference IMO.

We will see how it works, and if these changes encourage more people to venture in the wildy, which is ultimately the goal, right?

6 minutes ago, Haro said:

In my opinion, singles teams have been getting a bit out of hand, the wilderness is pretty much impossible to be in without having a team behind you.

6 minutes ago, FireBlackAsh said:

Fuck the singles teams, never been a fan. Singles and team don't belong together imo

4 minutes ago, Doyph said:

singles teams are what kill the wilderness to begin with

to put things in perspective, it can be argued that they're a necessary evil. if there's no singles teams, players can "risk" more - and there comes a point where your gear in single isn't really risking considering that unless you're a complete whale, t75 gear and up with brews is a scenario where any player with any kind of game sense isn't going to die. that's not risk. 

i don't disagree that the presence of teams can be overbearing in certain places and situations, but without them you're just plinking rev cave farmers with dinh's and +4. you're not killing those people. that's not a food chain for anyone to build off of, and that food chain is necessary for pvpers to even find other players to fight in the first place. 

It's a good update for the general sake of singles. Getting rid of the singles teams is good in my opinion. 

As for clanning, it will be a loss. What we learned throughout the years of clanning, is that certain clans will use everything in their power to win.
Ragging will take over the singles areas which means it's gonna be harder for clans to reach the multi spots. I can already hear the calls:" have your meds logged in & ready at east graves".

6 hours ago, Edjez said:

It's a good update for the general sake of singles. Getting rid of the singles teams is good in my opinion. 

As for clanning, it will be a loss. What we learned throughout the years of clanning, is that certain clans will use everything in their power to win.
Ragging will take over the singles areas which means it's gonna be harder for clans to reach the multi spots. I can already hear the calls:" have your meds logged in & ready at east graves".

i've said this for years anyway

What's very clear is that the abolishment of singles teams and for that i'm okay with although i've enjoyed watching Frontline videos as a fan. As stated already, the wilderness as it currently stands in single-combat is all teams. It's the same 3-4 teams that conquer in all combat ranges and unfortunately for those who don't know how to singles pk or is not part of a competitive team that does, you become a victim of an assault of 15-20-25 people. In my opinion, clans should not be in singles when in the wilderness? Get your shit clans to defend in multi, teleport and hit. Why do you need to gather your opts in singles in order to hit a multi fight? All the shit clan's that are still running all should know the wilderness by now so that excuse doesn't fly, get better leadership. 

The upgrades of a rev boss is a great addition, that will bring alot of people to the rev caves again to prey on those who are trying to get the boss kills. I do enjoy learning that revs will only have a way ticket which will help kill these venny bots even easier. I did enjoy learning that some of the DMM concepts are being used like the loot keys and the visibility of knowing how many keys are on a player. The only real upset is that they're not doing the small changes needed to keep the wilderness running. We might have to wait till 2025's agenda before we see a complete game that we all can rest on but as for now, what the fuck is jagex doing... 

Overall, Lets face it, we all got addicted to the wrong game. 

I actually think that for the purposes of encouraging solo Pkers to actually try to go out into the Wilderness/return to PKing in the game, this update is pretty sound. Singles teams have been a cancer for the Wilderness, as it becomes more of a "who pulls more" game to determine how often max sets/+1s are PK'ed. TB, dump spec, dump spec, re-entangle. Surge, dump spec, dump spec, barrage. I think this update will actually give content creators a chance to actually hold their own against some of the lower quality single teams out there, as they'll be able to get a kill, pick up their key, and dip out even if having to stave off a person in max camping them down the wilderness levels.

From the clanning side, on the surface this looks like it'll punish lower pulling clans as they won't be able to single to multi and catch larger clans in huge clumps. But on the reverse side, even if a bigger clan tries to sit on top of a smaller clan with rag gear or whatever, since there's a PJ timer, those raggers with no gear will get smoked quickly by quality singles PKers. And if the larger pulling clan is willing to lose returns in singles vs a smaller clan that has better quality, then in a way that sort of helps with the imbalance that we see in current rivalries where it turns into alliance vs alliance wars.

I'm loosely positive on this update, because the Wilderness has needed a change in the rules of engagement for a while. Although this doesn't fix everything, I think it's enough of a change to make a difference in a positive direction. As per usual, clans will adapt to the new systems. Atop of that, we may actually see individuals return to the Wilderness for those improved Loot tables once they realize they can actually fight their way out of the Wilderness instead of just getting sat on by 5+ people. More people PKing = more people potentially interested in clanning.