Definition of a Pure?

Quode

The definition and classification of what makes a pure has changed much since its original creation back in 2004. For many, the biggest change came when accidental levellings to 3-5 defence, and so people then made the jump to 20defence for the sake of initiate armour in 1v1 PvP combat.

Following that, you of course had the Rune Pures who basically got barrows gloves at the lowest possible defence level (at the time), and then Turmoil Pures, who quested their def in order to gain access to the new powerful prayers.

Despite all of those different classifications existing however, one common thread really stood out to me as somebody who for the first part of his RS career (2005-2009) was that any combat pure essentially sacrificed combat levels to be able to do more damage in their specialized form of combat, whilst having high hp to be able to take damage from opponents who maybe had a higher tier of weapon/spell than them.

So in essence, a true textbook pure is an account whose maxed out form would leave its combat level lower/equal to its HP. So theoretically the highest combat level a true pure could be would be combat 99. Obviously this doesn't apply to clanning these days, since many people build their accounts based off Clan Wars experiences and pre-eoc turmoil builds, but what are you guys' personal thoughts on being a Pure now vs being a Pure then?

Do you think the more successful pure clans will be the ones with lower cb's and higher damage per second ratios? Such as clans with more accounts 60atk 1def 90+ str, range, and mage?

Just curious to see how much people's thoughts have changed.

Personally I would rather have clans be 1 def only but as time progresses things change either for the better or for the worse. Honestly now having 1 defence isn't going to last you in the pure clanning world but it will last you in 1v1 edge pking.If there was a 1 defence wilderness and an option where you can reset your defence just for the pures, i would be down for that in a heart beat.

Personally I would rather have clans be 1 def only but as time progresses things change either for the better or for the worse. Honestly now having 1 defence isn't going to last you in the pure clanning world but it will last you in 1v1 edge pking.If there was a 1 defence wilderness and an option where you can reset your defence just for the pures, i would be down for that in a heart beat.

Why do you believe that 1def won't help you last in clans now? You can now left-click for all combat levels now so combat levels don't even matter now in terms of getting the left click.

Why do you believe that 1def won't help you last in clans now? You can now left-click for all combat levels now so combat levels don't even matter now in terms of getting the left click.

Yes but in a F2P/P2P war someone with 25 defence would most likely last more than a 1 defence pure.

Yes but in a F2P/P2P war someone with 25 defence would most likely last more than a 1 defence pure.

Based on the stats you would think so, but lets be honest here, so often 1def pures war better because they're used to having to clump up to survive, that even that argument has proven invalid, particularly in the past 2months.

Based on the stats you would think so, but lets be honest here, so often 1def pures war better because they're used to having to clump up to survive, that even that argument has proven invalid, particularly in the past 2months.

25 def>1 def where's the debate? mith armour + 24 def lvls > monks robes and green chaps. Not AS useful in p2p but it still gives a big boost

I'd like it if it all stayed 1 def though

Honestly you'd be considered cauliflower if you didn't listen to calls and stack up with the group, 1 def or 25 def it really doesn't matter. My argument still stands, 25 defence is more reasonable for clanning than 1 defence.

25 def>1 def where's the debate? mith armour + 24 def lvls > monks robes and green chaps. Not AS useful in p2p but it still gives a big boost

I'd like it if it all stayed 1 def though

using that logic why not go 30??? Addy>mithril wheres the debate?

1 def 75 attack 52 prayer. I think overall the community has accommodated more and more for the sake of competition. As people lost interest in the game more and more people devoted their accounts to their clans so they can still attend clan events and still have the maximum amount of fun as possible. But fundamentally this is flawed. I think it is good for a clan to remain 1 defense and stick true to that code (maybe 5 seeing as some pures do fuck up). First of all you won't have a huge combat gap in between your members so you eliminate the problem of having to accommodate to a clan in any level wilderness fight, you're pretty much ready to go in any area of the wilderness. Second 1 defense gives you less defense bonuses so your members are more likely to tank better during 1 defense capped fights because they are already used to tanking without the extra defense bonuses. Third it stimulates a more active community within your clan. Pking with 20-35 defense can get dull seeing as you're just going to get rushed by zerks and rune pures that have the edge over you from the start. Having 1 defense makes it easier for your community to pk and will lure your members into staying online and actually doing what they used to love, in turn making you community active, stimulating activity, and lengthening the amount of time your members stay in TS.

• 4 months later...