Community Feedback: Drawing The Line

Wardy

Basically I want to start a discussion about flaming in general, because as a Mediator it's really hard to draw a line and determine what type of comments need to be dealt with. Acts such as leaking personal information and personal threats are mutually agreed upon as 'too far', and obviously we step in where needed when such incidents occur. But what else specifically should we allow to happen here on Sharkbrew? If you could spare a little bit of time and provide some feedback, it would be genuinely appreciated.

What are your opinions on flaming in regards to clans? Flame which is not directed at any particular individuals but just a clan in general, such as members or the leadership. For example "hey User123, ClanX is retardedd and your members suckkkkkk". Should we just allow people to say whatever they like about clans in general, or try to moderate it?

Opinions on flame regarding individuals (Personal Insults)? Calling someone out specifically, for example "Hey User123, you are a retardd lol". Are there certain things that are appropriate to say, but others things aren't? Should we allow flaming directed towards particular individuals at all, or moderate it to an extent? Is it ok to say to someone a comment such as "Know your place" or "You are irrelevant"? We need to draw the line somewhere.

General "Banter"? Arguments between users on the site. Not specifically "flame" but obvious hostility between two individuals. Similar to the previous question but I still see a difference between the two.

Where do we as a Community draw the line?

I'll reply with my own personal opinions later.

What are your opinions on flaming in regards to clans?

Clan flames include any sort of blatant derogatory statement that is generically assigned to one particular clan, when it is not relevant to the topic the comment is being made on. Prime example being (on the RvB topic):

1b62ccbdf4.png

IMO, this sort of brown sticky stuff deserves to be hidden, not warned for necessarily, but the post itself holds no value to the topic at hand.

Opinions on flame regarding individuals?

Any negative comment made on a topic quoting/mentioning an individual and their RL/Clan affiliation when it does not relate to the original topic is flame towards individuals. Again, here's an example (yet again, just off of the recent RvB topic):

8b21519301.png

Again, IMO this brown sticky stuff is useless and tasteless, should be a warn delivered for the post and the post itself hidden.

General "Banter"?

Banter is fine IMO. But banter is INTELLIGENT flame, with gifs, textwalls, IRC logs, and/or TS logs. YouTube videos are also game if the banter gets serious. However, people need to learn what banter is, because most tomatos are incapable of performing banter on the forums, just like they're incapable of warring ingame rather than "battling" on the forums.

Lol retärd nice topic durrrrrr

But seriously there shouldn't be flame. U guys should just impliment a system where one is rewarded for not flaming for a week and then the reward increases the next week or something.

I know you're probably thinking what about the fake accounts? Easy. The obvious ones are easy to spot so just ban them perm. The fake accounts should have been banned a while ago. For example "Amenuh" is a perfect account to ban. Its obviously a fake account.

Lol retärd nice topic durrrrrr

But seriously there shouldn't be flame. U guys should just impliment a system where one is rewarded for not flaming for a week and then the reward increases the next week or something.

I know you're probably thinking what about the fake accounts? Easy. The obvious ones are easy to spot so just ban them perm. The fake accounts should have been banned a while ago. For example "Amenuh" is a perfect account to ban. Its obviously a fake account.

In regards to a reward system, we already have the Respected rank, which was implemented for those who are mature and don't actively engage in flame wars. Hopefully in the near future we should do another round of promotions which will reward those who remain neutral on here.

Troll accounts are hard to keep track of. Obviously is some new account with 3 posts starting making flamebait and troll topics, we ban them. Theres quite a number of threads that aren't seen by everybody and I think right now we are doing a fairly decent job at monitoring that. The specific case of Amenuh I am honestly not aware of and I think that conversation would be more suited to a private message. It's not always easy to figure out if an account is fake or not. Hopefully in the near future we might be able to implement an authentication system which will show if a user is verified to be who they claim to be. No promises on that one though.

If there wasn't a few people using a large number of troll accounts I don't think the flame and banter would be too bad. The community thrives off competition and there'll always be flaming (which does need to be moderated from time to time).

If you want to make a good start, removing or striking hard on troll accounts and those using troll accounts would be smart.

One thing I'd like to add is that if changes are made to how moderation is dealt with here, it means that an attitude shift would need to be adapted by the community. If a thread derails into a flame war it may result in a mass warning to multiple users. Ideally I would prefer that we are warning the minority and not the majority and we establish an approach to moderation that suits the community as a whole. If the community wants to allow flaming, so be it.

It's a hard line to draw, pures have a long history of flaming each other, and it sort of became part of the community.

This isn't necessary a bad thing, good friends also tell each other word for the heck of it.

You have to put flame into perspective, it isn't a problem when 2 people just have some banter, the line is when people are just straight up threating each other.

My experience being a retired mod, it was really hard to do, because everybody here have multiple agendas, and between all that we also have to stay unbiased.

Always keep in mind, it's just a game, runescape and the banter.

Nice topic sad part is wardy bans me for friendly discussions such as one guy from each clan. This is supposed to be nice its not my fault no one wants you @@Wardy

So let me explain as to why some of your topic are being removed and you have been warned accordingly. By no means is this a personal agenda against you, however despite constant warnings you continue to make these topics.

669d0be543.png

Heres one example. The entire point of this thread is for you to insult and flame a clan. No discussion is trying to be started here, you are simply trying to start drama. There are many ways in which you could have approached the topic in a more friendly mannor. However it is clear your intention is to bait people into a flame war, not start a genuine discussion.

e5002a583d.png

Another example. In this thread you are literally just trying to insult other clans. They aren't criticism, you are openly trying to insult clans that you do not like. Seriously, the forum is called Clan Discussion, not Bait People Into A Flamewar... I've let some of your topics slide but these are some primary examples of why I've had to step in as a mediator and remove them. By no means is this a friendly discussion, you cannot justify it as that.

Now please remain on topic. You are not being targeted, however you do not seem to get the message that some of your topics are not appropriate and are simply an attempt to flamebait.

Considering i'm from the old pure community where flames were at a minimum unless you've broken a clan rule and got booted. I believe that there should be minimum banter on clans, i mean honestly look @ each and every clan. To achieve a 20 pull for a new group of ranks is an accomplishment and to maintain that to a higher pace is a greater accomplishment. It may not be to some of us who've lead 50-70 people before. However to these guys it's a great start and for these "members" of each clan to put every single clan down even if they don't know anyone is complete idiocy. If we kept flame to a minimum, maybe clans will start respecting each other. However that's a lot to ask from a clan, to respect another that is. It is an online game in which enhanced personalities come from closets.

So let me explain as to why some of your topic are being removed and you have been warned accordingly. By no means is this a personal agenda against you, however despite constant warnings you continue to make these topics.

669d0be543.png

Heres one example. The entire point of this thread is for you to insult and flame a clan. No discussion is trying to be started here, you are simply trying to start drama. There are many ways in which you could have approached the topic in a more friendly mannor. However it is clear your intention is to bait people into a flame war, not start a genuine discussion.

e5002a583d.png

Another example. In this thread you are literally just trying to insult other clans. They aren't criticism, you are openly trying to insult clans that you do not like. Seriously, the forum is called Clan Discussion, not Bait People Into A Flamewar... I've let some of your topics slide but these are some primary examples of why I've had to step in as a mediator and remove them. By no means is this a friendly discussion, you cannot justify it as that.

Now please remain on topic. You are not being targeted, however you do not seem to get the message that some of your topics are not appropriate and are simply an attempt to flamebait.

OK so only 2 were just the others were positive!!!!

People will continue to flame whoever and whenever they want as long as they can hide behind their online identity. I personally feel that personal attacks or insults should immediately be removed, banter between clans should be allowed in small controlled amounts but if it begins to become excessive it should be removed and the topic locked. For example, if I were to post "Durhurr Ibro is a fucking down syndrome fuck him" it would immediately be removed, its a personal attack and is just useless flame. If i were to post "damn Trauma got smacked hard" it would be acceptable, but if a Trauma member responded and I then continued to fight with them for more than a post or two then I think that would be crossing the line from a little harmless banter to the beginning of a flame war, and it would need to be shut down. 

Just my thoughts, gotta go to class k bye.

@ LOL PROUD HIGH COUNCIL OF FROSTY PUREZ 2008-2010

#FP4LYFE

I think clan vs clan flame is acceptable as long as it doesn't get personal. That's where you should draw the line. If you stop the arguing completely there is literally no use for this site to a lot of people.

Example:

Topic about improving quality of forum: 18 including mine.

Flame bait topic by Hassan about where each clan is: 63 replies

People don't want to build a humble community where all the pures unite. They want to talk up their clan and talk down everyone else's.

It's up to you guys to decide where you draw lines and moderate accordingly. 

#FP4LYFE

I think clan vs clan flame is acceptable as long as it doesn't get personal. That's where you should draw the line. If you stop the arguing completely there is literally no use for this site to a lot of people.

Example:

Topic about improving quality of forum: 18 including mine.

Flame bait topic by Hassan about where each clan is: 63 replies

People don't want to build a humble community where all the pures unite. They want to talk up their clan and talk down everyone else's.

It's up to you guys to decide where you draw lines and moderate accordingly. 

what i find fucking dumb and cauliflower is when you mass up rd to come flame other peoples preps, which is a waste of your time, and you should probably just focus on your own clan