Are My IPs Safe?

slushpuppy

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

slushpuppy, i thought root admin's have power to view IP's no matter what; i have never came across a IP blocker mod via IPB.  Also, doesn't it defeat the purpose being a forum board director?  Didn't know cloudflare had encrypted their customers IP's.

IP blocker mod simply hides the IP on the front end. The real IP can be found in the backend/database application.

In the case for sharkbrew.com, all source IP is encrypted with a 1 way hash at router level. When your IP is encrypted at the lower level of the OSI model, no about database/php hax can recover the real ip

6fd37b2c9b90cbc53be1a76fa41dc451.png

The benefits of this allows me to ban encrypted IPs at will, while disallowing me to see the actual IP.

Sharkbrew is indeed the first pure community to implement this system. Preceding pure community sites(E.g. Pure warfare, Clanwarfare) suffered from mod leaking IPs. When their DB got compromised, the hackers had access to a large treasure trove of IPs. My system solves this problem entirely.

Additionally, it will remove any impetus for my mods to leak IPs.. since they can't leak anything!

Hope that clears it up.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...